Thread: Works that we need on SACD

Posts: 39
Page: prev 1 2 3 4 next

Post by Iain March 14, 2015 (11 of 39)
Luukas said:

There are many compositions that are unavailable on SACD - specifically on multi-channel. Here are my own wishes:
- Mahler, Gustav: Symphony No. 10 (Cooke, 1976 version)
- Weber, Carl Maria von: Der Freishutz
- Sibelius, Jean: Scaramouche, Op. 71 - tragic pantomime´
- Tchaikovsky, Pjotr: The Queen of Spades, Op. 68
- Vieuxtemps, Henri: Violin Concertos Nos. 4 & 5

...

Also,
Fragmente Stille. An Diotima, Luigi Nono
Arditti String Quartet

http://www.ardittiquartet.co.uk/

Please!!!

I truly need a better mastering of it, as all I've now is a 320 Kbp/s mp3.

Post by steviev March 14, 2015 (12 of 39)
Credo said:

And Job too. The equal of any of the symphonies IMO....

Yes, great work -- totally agree.

Also, we could use the complete works of Sorabji on SACD. If ever there were a piano composer whose music cried out for........

Post by fausto K March 14, 2015 (13 of 39)
Iain said:

Also,
Fragmente Stille. An Diotima, Luigi Nono
Arditti String Quartet

http://www.ardittiquartet.co.uk/

Please!!!

I truly need a better mastering of it, as all I've now is a 320 Kbp/s mp3.

that is indeed a stunning recording - I have it (I also saw the Arditti perform this quartet live, some years ago in London, spellbinding!)

the asking prices are idiotic (one asks over 10,000 euros on Amazon.de). But if you want a mint (sealed) copy for a very decent price, look here:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1843499?ev=rb

PS: I doubt that this will ever appear on SACD, as it poses fiendish problems for the performers, so no one quartet, currently recording for SACD, except of the same calibre as the Arditti will be able to pull this off. Perhaps the Hagen might given it a try for Myrios.

Post by Domimag March 14, 2015 (14 of 39)
- BRAHMS - Piano Concertos 1 & 2
- MOZART - Mass in C minor
- MOZART - Complete String Quintets (TACET ?)
- MOZART - Complete String Quartets (TACET ?)
- SAINT-SAENS - Cello concertos
- SAINT-SAENS - Violin concertos
- SAINT-SAENS - 5 Symphonies
- ROTT - Symphonie n°1
etc.

Post by Fugue March 14, 2015 (15 of 39)
steviev said:

Also, we could use the complete works of Sorabji on SACD. If ever there were a piano composer whose music cried out for........

Amen! It will be a very cold day in hell when Sorabji's 7-hour Sequentia Cyclica Dies Irae gets recorded, but until then, here is a live recording of it from The Netherlands. Hardly audiophile sound, but the music and Jonathan Powell's amazing playing come through clearly.

http://www.concertzender.nl/programmagids/?date=2013-05-07&month=-18&detail=63373

Post by Ubertrout March 14, 2015 (16 of 39)
Domimag said:

- BRAHMS - Piano Concertos 1 & 2
- MOZART - Mass in C minor
- MOZART - Complete String Quintets (TACET ?)
- MOZART - Complete String Quartets (TACET ?)
- SAINT-SAENS - Cello concertos
- SAINT-SAENS - Violin concertos
- SAINT-SAENS - 5 Symphonies
- ROTT - Symphonie n°1
etc.

The Saint-Saens Cello Concerti and numbered symphonies have been released by Pentatone as RQR SACDs. Of course the first cello concerto and Organ Symphony have been released repeatedly. There's also a lot of SACD recordings of the Mozart Mass, although whether one will find them satisfactory is another question.

It's a bit frustrating that the orchestra labels seem to repeatedly re-release the same repertoire, even though I understand the reasons why.

Post by Joseph Ponessa March 14, 2015 (17 of 39)
Ordo Virtutum 1151
Cantigas de Santa Maria 1279
Chansonnier Cordiforme 1470
La Pellegrina 1589
My Ladye Nevells Booke 1591
Rappresentatione di Corpo e di Anima 1600
Fiori musicali 1635
Die Entführung 1782 (Telarc did a DSD recording with Mackerras)
Così fan tutte 1790
... and many more

Post by steviev March 14, 2015 (18 of 39)
Fugue said:

Amen! It will be a very cold day in hell when Sorabji's 7-hour Sequentia Cyclica Dies Irae gets recorded, but until then, here is a live recording of it from The Netherlands. Hardly audiophile sound, but the music and Jonathan Powell's amazing playing come through clearly.

http://www.concertzender.nl/programmagids/?date=2013-05-07&month=-18&detail=63373

Ha ha! I just finished recording that work onto my PC about 10 minutes ago -- my laptop was tied up all day long! The audio quality is lousy even by radio standards -- by my calculations, it is streamed at 96 kilobits/second, so quite lame even by MP3 standards. But, still, now I have a recording of this beautiful monstrosity....... now let's have it on SACD!

Post by Luukas March 15, 2015 (19 of 39)
- Tavener, John: Fall and Resurrection
- Arvo Pärt: Lamentate: Homage to Anish Kapoor and his sculpture 'Marsyas', for piano and orchestra
- Shostakovich, Dmitri: Alone: The Complete Score (Reconstructed by Mark Fitz-Gerald)
- Kokkonen, Joonas: The Last Temptations
- MacMillan, James: Violin Concerto

Post by Iain March 15, 2015 (20 of 39)
fausto K said:

that is indeed a stunning recording - I have it (I also saw the Arditti perform this quartet live, some years ago in London, spellbinding!)

the asking prices are idiotic (one asks over 10,000 euros on Amazon.de). But if you want a mint (sealed) copy for a very decent price, look here:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1843499?ev=rb

PS: I doubt that this will ever appear on SACD, as it poses fiendish problems for the performers, so no one quartet, currently recording for SACD, except of the same calibre as the Arditti will be able to pull this off. Perhaps the Hagen might given it a try for Myrios.

I would have liked to have seen that live performance. I would think that would have been a one-off considering it's complexity, correct?

BTW, I've discovered prestoclassical have the 16/44.1 FLAC file of the 2004 remaster of the RBCD, as well as the 320 Kbp/s mp3.

I plan to download the FLAC file and process it for 24/176.4 FLAC, as I typically do for the most important works.

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 next

Closed