Thread: ABBA, Bee Gees, in SACD? Gees!

Posts: 35
Page: prev 1 2 3 4 next

Post by The Seventh Taylor January 1, 2008 (11 of 35)
(Chinese) abuse of the SACD logo and other premium audio formats was recently discussed in this thread: /showthread/18773/20241/y#20241

Post by Allen January 1, 2008 (12 of 35)
The Seventh Taylor said:

(Chinese) abuse of the SACD logo and other premium audio formats was recently discussed in this thread: /showthread/18773/20241/y#20241

Well, that discussion is only about abusing DSD logo. I knew that for quite a while. Now they just print that logo, because no one can actually tell from tech specs. It is acclaimed that they processed the sound from original tapes with DSD technologies, and only in the final CD mastering, they down grade the sound to PCM.

SACD logo is a new thing for me.

Post by soundboy January 1, 2008 (13 of 35)
Allen said:

Any further reference on China Records cooperation with Hong Kong labels?

Last time I heard seems that some personals in China Records are very very negative about SACD format, especially during their fights with ABC records (they thought ABC records never got any SACD done, and therefore punished it by revoking the licenses - well as a matter of fact, there are actually 4 SACD titles from their co-operation).

Oops! I made a slight mistake.

China Records has actually released a couple of SACD releases on its own, which you can find at sa-cd.net.

However, in 2006, China Records partnered up with ABC Records for 3 new SACD releases. One of them is "Red Women Army", a Communist propaganda ballet.

I was under the impression that China Records teamed up with Hong Kong's Bailey Records for releases of SACDs. Bailey had recently released a whole series of SACDs focusing on music from mainland China.

Post by soundboy January 1, 2008 (14 of 35)
Btw, Allen, the links you provided in your original post....those are very bad fakes.

Post by Allen January 1, 2008 (15 of 35)
soundboy said:

Oops! I made a slight mistake.

China Records has actually released a couple of SACD releases on its own, which you can find at sa-cd.net.

However, in 2006, China Records partnered up with ABC Records for 3 new SACD releases. One of them is "Red Women Army", a Communist propaganda ballet.

I was under the impression that China Records teamed up with Hong Kong's Bailey Records for releases of SACDs. Bailey had recently released a whole series of SACDs focusing on music from mainland China.

Yeah, this is one of the 4 SACDs I mentioned. BTW, the source of "Red Women Army" is mono, I think. China in 1960's has no stereo recording facility.

In addition to that album, there are 3 other vocal albums from early 80's.
http://www.abcrecord.com/cn/default/index.asp?Keywordid=SACD&typeid=73

ABC records made a huge business mistake when doing these SACDs. In any case, (many juicy details omitted) their license was revoked around 4/2007. The whole co-operation stopped there. They continue to ship these remasterings in LP and CD format, the afore-mentioned 4 SACDs are still available from Amazon China website.

ABC Records is just a bunch of hooligans. I was told that ABC never possessed the master tape. The original tapes were never sent to Germany for SACD remastering. It is just a analog copy from the original tape to their computer HD. After this event, they acclaim that they believe LP is much better, and SACD is no longer an option for any of their future plan.

I do not think China Records has any plan on sacd after that. Their latest co-operation with Hong Kong Bailey is in a new LP and soon to be released as XRCD.

Anyway, this is the short version of the nasty story.

--------------------------------

Back to the fake SACD logo issue, I do not necessarily see it as negative thing. At least someone in China is hyping up SACD as a premium audiophile format and people there actually buy into that. That is good. When it becomes a public perception, there will be market need. :-)

What is a missing? An army of cheap SACD players, suitable for mass adoption in Chinese market. Then they will know many "sacd" are just fake, and they will need the REAL thing.

Post by soundboy January 1, 2008 (16 of 35)
Allen said:

ABC Records is just a bunch of hooligans. I was told that ABC never possessed the master tape. The original tapes were never sent to Germany for SACD remastering. It is just a analog copy from the original tape to their computer HD. After this event, they acclaim that they believe LP is much better, and SACD is no longer an option for any of their future plan.

I always have questioned whether ABC Records actually has the rights to, for example, the Teresa Teng recordings given that Hong Kong Universal Music claims ownership.

One interesting bit of information....ABC Records produced a series of audiophile DMM LPs, claiming engineering from none other than Mark Levinson (the person). I-emailed MK through his Red Rose Music e-mail and received a confirmation. Still, can ABC Records legitimately claim they are remastering and releasing audiophile recordings of Nat "King" Cole and Teresa Teng?

______________________

Regarding the fake SACD logo, it's the first time I've seen it. However, consumers over there will buy into whatever alphabet soup being produced. HDCD? XRCD? SACD? Believe me, one of these days, all three will show up on one disc.

Post by Ear January 2, 2008 (17 of 35)
Well, I am probably outing myself as a technical idiot concerning SACD, but could it be, that they just convertet a 16/44 CD to DSD stereo and no remastering was done? Is something like that possible? So you would have an sacd but probably no real improvement but slightly warmer sound perhaps? Sorry if I am totally of track here.
I thought that putting a DSD Logo on a normal CD is one thing. You just claim that DSD was involved at some stage. Nobody willl be able to find out where. But what about those HDCD's? Did players actually recognize them? If yes, it might be possible, that those are SACD's but that says nothing about them being remastered properly for that format and the source they where converted from.


EDIT. I just reread the first post. So there was already an abuse of the SACD logo. Well, still, my first questions remains valid.

Post by soundboy January 2, 2008 (18 of 35)
Ear said:

Well, I am probably outing myself as a technical idiot concerning SACD, but could it be, that they just covertet a 16/44 CD to DSD stereo and no remastering was done? Is something like that possible? So you would have an sacd but probably no real improvement but slightly warmer sound perhaps? Sorry if I am totally of track here.

I believe that's what happened with the Norah Jones SACD.

Post by Ear January 2, 2008 (19 of 35)
soundboy said:

I believe that's what happened with the Norah Jones SACD.

Well, at least they did a 5.1 mix.
Is it a lot of trouble to convert PCM to DSD or just like, let's say converting a CD into a mp3 file and back?

Post by raffells January 2, 2008 (20 of 35)
raffells said:

How about starting on Amazon.com
There are a load of items which appear regularly over in Amazon USA.Just type in super audio in search ?
Occasionally I find sellers with sacds which also dont appear under normal sacd search.ie When you browse salesfronts..If they are not listed by Zeus I dont bother now.
Most of these would be interesting/Waylon Jennings etc appears regularly.
A few of which I bought.Turned out normal CDs.
Apart from the top few Amazon sellers Caiman etc I have regular failure with USA sellers.Received advice today of another item,They couldnt find it when they went to look for It?.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=sacd&rs=301668&page=1&rh=n%3A301668%2Ck%3Asacd&sort=price

If you click on this link only 2 items on the first 6 pages were genuine sacds.

Page: prev 1 2 3 4 next

Closed